- Historical Data
Bitcoin is the first decentralized cryptocoin ever built on top of a blockchain. It was created by an anonymous person or group of people with the nickname Satoshi Nakamoto in 2009 as an open source project.
To understand the Bitcoin blockchain we can imagine a book, where each page number contains a signature that can validate the content of that page and its previous one. This signature is computed by an algorithm known as SHA-256 and cannot be reversed. In other words we can calculate the A-256 signature from some content, but we can’t get content if we know its SHA-256 signature. Back to the example with the book: if we tear out a page from the book, we can easily understand that a page is missing. The same is with adding an inexistent page. All the pages are copied between members of the chain, and this is why the Bitcoin Blockchain is considered a distributed network.
Bitcoin is an open source project maintained by a developer team with over 580 active contributors. The code of the chain is available on Github. The main purpose of Bitcoin was decentralized but trusted, low fee money transactions between people and businesses around the world. Nowadays over 100.000 vendors accept Bitcoin for payments. And there are between 2.9 and 5.8 million unique users who actively use Bitcoin cryptocurrency wallets. The price of Bitcoin can be very volatile due to speculation and has changed in the past more than +/-20% during a single.
- US Treasury Dept sanctions crypto OTC broker Suex for alleged role in facilitating transactions for ransomware attacksCointelegraph.com News – 7 hours agoThe government agency hinted at possible additional sanctions for “financial institutions, cyber insurance firms, and companies involved in digital forensics and incident response” that facilitated…
- Fear & Greed Index suggests Bitcoin's price is undervaluedCointelegraph.com News – 7 hours agoThe technical analysis tool is popular amongst crypto traders hopeful of securing an insight in the markets psyche. Recent data from the Crypto Fear &…
- Ethereum 'head & shoulders' chart pattern puts ETH price at risk of dropping to $2KCointelegraph.com News – 7 hours agoThe bearish setup positions Ethereum price to extend the decline toward $2,000. Ethereum’s native token Ether (ETH) rates may fall to a two-month low after…
- DeFi’s potential means more institutional demand for next-gen tokensCointelegraph.com News – 8 hours agoEther’s impressive YTD gains have largely been overshadowed by the profits accrued by other smart contract-enabled projects. There’s no denying that the last couple of…
- Monero’s former maintainer released from US custodyCointelegraph.com News – 9 hours ago“I am actively working with my attorneys on a way to return to South Africa as soon as possible so I can address this matter…