- Historical Data
Dogecoin is a fun meme coin that was launched on December 6, 2013. The coin is a decentralized peer-to-peer currency that tried mimicking the popular Bitcoin, but in an an effort to surpass Bitcoin’s popularity. Doge features a cartoon Japanese character Shiba Inu, that acts as the coin’s mascot. The intention of this mascot is to show the fun part that this coin was intended to be.
Dogecoin’s developer Billy Markus based this coin’s code on Lucky coin, that is based on another coin called tecoin. Litecoin uses the scrypt technology in its proof-of-work consensus mechanism preventing dedicated Bitcoin miners from mining. It is for this reason that Dogecoin was at least originally effectively mined with ordinary PCs instead of the dedicated miners.
While it was introduced as a fun coin, Dogecoin’s community has since grown by a lot. It is now mainly used to tip social media users who contribute great and interesting content on various platforms. Instead of simply liking their content, the contributors get rewards in form of Dogecoins. It is also frequently used for raising funds for charity events, eg. in the case of the construction of a well in the Tana river delta in Kenya.
Apart from Billy Markus, who came up with the original idea, another key individual in the coin’s development is Jackson Palmer of Adobe Systems. It is Palmer who took over this project and propelled it to its current status.
- EU officials reach agreement on AML authority for supervising crypto firmsCointelegraph.com News – 36 minutes ago“We are putting an end to the wild west of unregulated crypto, closing major loopholes in the European anti-money laundering rules,” said European Parliament member…
- US govt delays enforcement of crypto broker reporting requirements: ReportCointelegraph.com News – 1 hour agoThe reporting requirements, aimed at reducing the size of the tax gap, were scheduled to take effect in January 2023, with crypto firms sending reports…
- Stratis (STRAX) gains 200%+ after Sky Dream Mall metaverse and stablecoin announcementCointelegraph.com News – 2 hours agoSTRAX price bucked the market-wide bearish downtrend by rallying 200% after the team unveiled plans for a British pound stablecoin and a new metaverse. Bear…
- NYDIG study calculates the value of regulation worldwide in terms of BTC price gainsCointelegraph.com News – 2 hours agoThe crypto-positive financial services company looked at Bitcoin prices at intervals following regulatory events and found clear evidence of the events’ effects. The need for…
- Ronaldo partners with Binance: Nifty Newsletter, June 22–28Cointelegraph.com News – 3 hours agoEminem and Snoop Dogg switched between themselves and their Bored Ape Yacht Club characters in their newest music video. In this week’s newsletter, read about…