- Historical Data
Ethereum is a decentralized operating system. The platform introduced, in practice, the concept of “decentralized applications”. Its founder, Vitalik Buterin, has been engaged in the development of blockchain and Bitcoin since its inception.
Today, several cryptocurrencies are issued in ICOs using Ethereum. These tokens are called ERC-20, and they are the foundation for running scripts in the Ethereum Virtual Machine. Through the development of “smart contracts”, Ethereum made it possible to sign tokens that have a specific function besides being a medium of exchange and broadened the capabilities of blockchain “transactions”.
Its key cryptocurrency is the Ether, which is usually used for payments in smart contracts or dApps. In addition, Ethereum is also fueled with GAS, a cryptocurrency associated with operations that require some kind of computation from its nodes. The GAS price is proportional to the type of the computational power required execute a task. Therefore, a fee in GAS is included to pay for the nodes running or authenticating a transaction.
Originally, Ethereum used proof-of-work to reach consensus. The Casper protocol, however, gradually shifted Ethereum consensus from PoW to a custom proof-of-stake protocol.
- Swiss asset manager Julius Baer eyes crypto and DeFi potentialCointelegraph.com News – 56 minutes agoSwiss asset manager Julius Baer is set to offer cryptocurrency exposure to its high-net-worth clientele. The 132-year-old Swiss asset management firm, Julius Baer, intends to…
- Jack Dorsey’s Block hits $1.3B in Q1 profits, $43M in BTC trading revenueCointelegraph.com News – 1 hour agoDespite the fact that the Bitcoin price trended down over Q1, the Block ecosystem of payment solutions with Bitcoin in mind performed well. Block, the…
- Bitcoin must defend these price levels to avoid 'much deeper' fall: AnalysisCointelegraph.com News – 1 hour agoIt could be “do or die” for Bitcoin bulls if BTC/USD returns under $27,000, Whalemap argues. Bitcoin (BTC) may be attempting to flip $30,000 to…
- BNB Chain offers another lifeline to Terra ecosystem projectsCointelegraph.com News – 2 hours agoBinance’s BNB Chain will offer support to Terra ecosystem projects looking to migrate away from the ailing DeFi protocol. Binance will welcome migration and offer…
- FTX US to launch stock trading against stablecoinsCointelegraph.com News – 3 hours agoFTX Stocks will allow retail investors to fund their accounts with fiat-backed stablecoins like USD Coin via the FTX US crypto exchange. Major cryptocurrency exchange…